Thursday, May 14, 2009

Getting There & Electricals

WOW!  We're really getting excited!  Went there today to see what is happening.  Found the electricians finishing off today.  They asked me a few questions and I was glad I was there to answer them straight away.  I told our site supervisor yesterday that the electricians haven't phoned me like he said they will after I pointed out some of the things that were missing as per our electrical plans.  

I checked some missing powerpoints and 2 out of 3 were there already.  I pointed out the third one and by the afternoon, it was also there already.  The light switch for the play room is also there now.  

They missed a switch for the light in the foyer nook, and asked if I'd mind putting the switch in the entry foyer (but it would be on its own because we got all the switches put on another wall) or in the garage as putting it where we had planned would mean more work.  I wasn't too fussed but, boy, was I glad to check with Von, because he insisted on having it put wherever we had originally planned.  It's true, we're not changing our minds on them.  Why should it be our problem that they missed it in the first place and that it was going to cause more work now?  Why should we put up with even a little bit of inconvenience when it was their error.  When I told the electricians, they were quite good about it.  In fact, one of them said, it's not a problem at all because it was their fault in the first place.  I guess, the other one was just trying to see if they can get away with less work but they were both happy to do as required on the plan.

They also asked about the light above the mirror in the powder room.  Apparently, if it was centred above the mirror, they couldn't put it there because it had to be atleast 600mm away from the shower recess.  He suggested a downlight instead.  And because it wasn't going to cost us any extra, I okayed that straight away.  I'm glad he is on the ball with the legal requirements.  Being there, I was able to ask for the light points above the vanities to be where I want them to be in relation to the mirror.  I want them to be very close to the mirror.  The electrician would have centred it vertically in between the mirror and the cornice and that wouldn't have been good. 

I dropped off some mudcake from James' and David's birthday cake for the electricians this afternoon.  I brought some coffee but they were more keen to finish the job, I think.

There's so much that has happened since I was there on Monday, when the painting was getting finished.  The following have been installed since Monday:  shower screens, mirrors above the vanities, door handles, pantry door, built-in mirrors, tapware, and all the doors are back on.  The door stoppers are also in place - that was a pleasant surprise because for some reason, I thought we still had to buy those. 

Only issues we found are (after a quick sweep of the place):
1. The pin mixers on all vanities are hitting the mirrors when we turn them on.
2. Also, the intercom unit inside is placed in the middle of the wall in the dining/family room (well, about 1/3 from the end where we had indicated on the plan to have it).  It has obviously been mounted by a man because now, we cannot even use that wall to put up a mirror or an art work because there's an intercom unit right in the middle of that wall!  
3. The master bedroom is missing the doorlock.
4. The light under the stairs is too close to the door such that it may not illuminate the bottom end of the storage well enough.
5. There seems to be an extra plate in the main bathroom (may have been a hole made in error being covered up).

Considering how many things could have gone wrong though, they're all doing an ok job.  We still need to carefully check all the electricals against our plans, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment