Thursday, April 23, 2009

Tiling Issue Sorted

Von asked me last night if the tiling issue has been sorted.  I hadn't heard from our Site supervisor yet, but somehow, the reassurance of the construction manager gave me a lot of confidence on Tuesday.

Today, I visited in the morning and the tiler had already put up half of the wall tiles in the WC - the RIGHT ones!  Hurray!  The tiler said he was asked by Beaumont and our site supervisor if he thought I just changed my mind about the tiles on the spot or whether it was a real error.  The tiler told them that he thought I was telling the truth because as soon as I saw the tiles, I went, "Yup (floor tiles), yup (shower recess tiles), that's not what we picked (wall tiles)".

The tiler also took his time in explaining to me about the fall in the floor - I was asking if it's possible for him to avoid water accumulating in spots as that's something that would definitely bother me.  We got our wall mounted vanities so that I can "wash" the floors easily.  Basically, I was told that the waterproofing is not intended for buckets of water.  We used to pour water onto our toilet suite and let it drip down.  Then we'd roughly mop it towards the drain.  Apparently, that's a big NO-NO.  Woops!

Tiler seems particular with his work.  In fact, I didn't have to ask him to try and align the floor tiles with the wall tiles - he tries to do that normally already.  Of course, it can never be aligned exactly because the grouting between the wall tiles and between the floor tiles are regulated differently.   

Our tile selection works well from what we can already see.  It was worth fighting for.  Tips for those selecting their tiles:  take a photo throughout all your selection appointments - ideally with the person serving you in the background (hehehe).  Ask the person serving you to explain what you are signing for.  It's their job, just as the McDonald's staff say to you, "So, you ordered the...."

Kudos to Clarendon, specifically, to our site supervisor and to his contruction manager! 


Powder room photo shows the pattern on the white tiles the most.  Mocha coloured in the shower recess but white on all the rest of the walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment